The world of linguistic proficiency is now at your fingertips with the rise of online language learning platforms (you just need to have a phone in hand).
This guide will show the (many) reasons why online language platforms are attracting multitudes and how to make it work for you successfully!
It’s not a coincidence that more and more people have been choosing online platforms to study. And many of them are mastering a new language – from the comfort of their homes.
There are lots of platforms that offer this learning in online courses, which grew incredibly after Covid-19 pandemic. Let us help you understand this tendency – it brings many advantages when compared to physical classrooms.
All the advantages of learning a new language from the comfort of your home
- It’s the solution to irregular schedules.
By learning a language online, you decide your time of learning.
- You can have classes wherever you want.
Your teachers or your activities will be with you whether you are at home, or on vacation. You can even pause the class if you need to come back later. No matter what language you decide to learn, distance is not a problem.
- You can have easy access to a huge number of resources.
The internet offers interactive exercises, videos, audio materials, podcasts, language learning apps (like Speaky). You can choose the most suitable of them, and that will make your learning experience so pleasant!
- It’s possible to connect with different accents and cultural backgrounds.
Online learning allows you to connect with teachers and fellow learners from around the world. That’s stunning – it’s probably why people are increasingly interested in learning online: this interaction with peers from all over the world!
Online language courses often include cultural insights and context, providing you with a deeper understanding of the language’s cultural nuances and idiomatic expressions.
- You can personalize your preferences.
Many online language learning platforms tailor lessons and exercises to your individual level, pace, and goals. This would be difficult in a physical classroom and can accelerate your progress by focusing on areas where you need the most improvement.
You can also do repetition and review of lessons as many times as you wish.
- It’s cost-effective
Learning a language online can often be more affordable than traditional in-person classes. Besides the price of the course itself, you can save on transportation costs and materials.
- There is a diversity of languages:
Online platforms offer a wide range of languages to learn, even those that wouldn’t be found in your local area.
- You prepare for specific exams
Many platforms offer resources specifically designed to help learners prepare for language proficiency exams like TOEFL, IELTS, DELF, and more.
A lot of advantages, right? Nowadays, online language learning already holds undeniable importance.
The striking role of online platforms in the process of language learning
Follow along with us: learning languages is crucial for our work and personal life today, don’t you agree?
How could we learn all the languages we need for our professional and personal life if the internet didn’t exist?
So, online platforms play an essential role in our world:
- Online platforms provide a versatile and accessible environment for learners to acquire new languages.
- By mastering a language, you can also dive into specific fields and greatly expand your knowledge within them (think about your field of specialization!).
- From the pedagogical point of view, online learning can, astonishingly, improve speaking and listening skills, through audio materials, podcasts, and speech recognition tools.
- Your language learning doesn’t come alone: you’ll help your fellow as he helps you (and both will laugh a lot!); you’ll broaden your horizons of knowledge and feel more connected to humanity.
- All these materials are now accessible to individuals who wouldn’t have the means to afford private tutors or pay for traditional language schools.
If COVID brought us something good, it was the marvel of online education, reducing inequalities worldwide. A phone is enough, and humanity can help each other through knowledge.
And how to gain knowledge without mastering different languages?!
Just look: there are more updates coming!
All the news and trends in online language learning
Take a look at some trends and innovations that have been shaping the landscape of online learning (and are waiting for you).
- Microlearning: Microlearning involves delivering content in small, bite-sized modules. It’s perfect for people with short attention spans and busy schedules.
- Personalization and Adaptive Learning: Thanks to AI, platforms can now personalize learning experiences. Adaptive learning systems analyze a learner’s progress and adjust the content and pace accordingly. AI is also used for automated assessment and chatbots for student support, so struggling students can be identified and helped.
- Gamification: Every student loves games, because they make learning more interactive and engaging; that’s why gamification in online learning is a strong trend. This can include rewards, badges, leaderboards, and challenges.
- Video-based Learning: Video content remains a popular choice for online learning due to its visual appeal and ability to convey complex concepts effectively. Some activities offer interactive exercises on videos.
- Mobile Learning (mLearning): Learning on mobile devices is on the rise due to the widespread use of smartphones and tablets. Educational content is being optimized for mobile delivery (and you can try Speaky on your mobile right now!).
Online language learning is more than you expected, right?
But you can also adapt the course to your personality, to your style!
The personalization of your online language learning journey
Personalizing your online learning journey involves tailoring your learning experiences to align with your goals, preferences, and learning style. Here’s how you can go about it:
- Set clear goals: Define your objectives in learning a new language. What do you want to achieve through online learning? Whether it’s improving conversation, gaining knowledge of cultural aspects, or mastering grammar for written communication, having clear goals will help you focus your efforts.
- Choose Relevant Online Courses: Select language courses that are directly related to your goals. Look for topics that genuinely interest you and are applicable to your aspirations. You can find courses more focused on travel, or on science… or on your job niche.
- Assess Your Learning Style: Are you a visual learner, auditory learner, or kinesthetic learner? Understanding your preferred learning style can help you choose courses and resources that cater to your way of absorbing information.
- Explore Different Platforms: There are numerous online learning platforms available. Research and compare platforms to find one that aligns with your learning goals and preferences. Some popular platforms include Speaky, Duolingo and Rosetta Stone, but you can also find language courses on multidisciplinary platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy.
- Create a Schedule: Plan a study schedule that fits your routine. Consistency is key in online learning. Allocate specific times for learning, and make sure to balance it with your other commitments.
- Take Advantage of Flexibility: One of the benefits of online learning is flexibility. If you’re more productive at a certain time of day, structure your learning around that. You can also learn at your own pace.
- Engage with Interactive Content: Seek out courses that offer interactive elements such as quizzes, assignments, and discussion forums. These can enhance your understanding and engagement with the material.
- Utilize Personal Notes: Take notes as you learn. Summarize key points, jot down questions, and highlight important concepts. These notes can serve as personalized study aids.
- Engage with Instructors and Peers: Participate in discussion forums, chat sessions, or Q&A sessions offered by the course or platform. Engaging with instructors and fellow learners can enhance your understanding and provide different perspectives.
- Apply What You Learn: Whenever possible, apply the concepts you learn to real-world situations. This helps solidify your understanding and makes the learning experience more practical.
- Monitor Your Progress: Many online learning platforms provide progress tracking. Regularly review your progress to ensure you’re on track and make adjustments as needed.
- Experiment with Different Resources: Don’t limit yourself to just one type of resource. Explore a variety of formats such as videos, articles, podcasts, and ebooks to find what resonates best with you.
- Reflect and Adjust: Periodically reflect on your learning journey. Are you making progress? Are you enjoying the process? Adjust your approach as needed to keep your learning experience fulfilling.
- Set Milestones and Celebrate Achievements: Break your larger goals into smaller milestones. Celebrate each achievement to stay motivated and maintain a positive attitude – it’s so much fun!
- Stay Updated: Online learning resources are constantly evolving. Stay updated on new courses, technologies, and trends to continue enhancing your skills and knowledge.
Experiment with different strategies and approaches to create a learning journey that’s uniquely tailored to your needs and aspirations.
To wrap up
Learning a new language on online platforms has been revolutionizing the connection globally. It broke down geographical barriers, offering diverse course options, and providing flexible learning experiences.
Take your phone now and learn whatever language you desire, at your own pace – Speaky app is here to open your mind